An attempt to chronicle our history
In early 70's P.K. Kuriakose (Kunju) and few other members got together and worked towards a united Parappuram. It was a time when communication with members placed far away was not easy. Letters were sent by post that took days or weeks to reach. Not many had the access to telephones. One had to travel, visit each member living away to exchange information. But such travels were fun.
It was a time when home cooked delicacies were served to visitors at home and not bought from a bakery. No matter how many went to a home, all were happily received. There was a kind of strong bond among members, a bond one's blood recognizes. About 40 years later, a younger generation is trying to re-create the love and co-operation which our forefathers enjoyed.
As a result of these conversations, a large meeting was held in CMS School, Pallom during 1992.
Below is a list of members who began this process.
Reproduced below is the first page of a document handwritten by P.K. Kuriakose (Kunju) as an attempt to chronicle our history.
A translation of the first few pages
This family genealogy and history is dedicated to our great forefathers remembrances.
This book is a genealogy record of current Parappuram family at Pallom, Kottayam Dist, Kerala State.
Like many other genealogical works, this work has the obvious aim of connecting the family to all our ancestors bearing the same name as far as back in the history possible. A second aim to connect the relatives and place them in the family perspective. Thirdly, only to include all trustworthy information. Great efforts taken by our forefathers to gather information and record such history is now being fulfilled and presented through the website. Most of the information gathered and recorded by Mr. P. K. Kuriakose further modified and corrected by other family members is included here. This will give authentic information to all family members.
Please be understood that we are trying to express details herein were of a time from when education and writing were not as proficient as of now we have; you may find names of people and place with spelling errors and pronouncing difficulty, which is not intentional. Most of such word of mouth details told as legendary stories; told by first generations to their descendant are extremely true in our case being an Indian culture.
Assistance in this work has been so general and generous that individual acknowledgement would be sure to slight some most deserving of mention. Nevertheless we do not wish all of the courtesy and help to go unmentioned. Indeed, it is not I, but YOU that have written this book. We should be extremely grateful if any reader who finds such errors or who can add to the information would contact us so that the record may be set straight.
Our ancestors were from Niranam. As told, he was a "Potty" (traditionally called Brahmin) who was a "karyakkaran" (it is equal to a minister now a days) associated with Pandalam Palace. He converted to Christianity and married from a Christian family around 400 years back (year kollavarsham 775) and lived in Niranam. They were dependant and worked with Pandalam Palace and possessed gifted agricultural land including paddy fields. They were religiously associated with Niranam church.
His son-in-law Mr.Ulahannan too lived at Niranam during this period - Kollavarshm 855, married from a place near to Thalikkal fort - near Kayamkulam. His son Mr Kurien was famous and known later as Vazhayil Karyakkaran. Sadly, soon after this son was born, his father died. His mother was re-married to Mr Itty, Edathumpadikkal. He was then brought up by his grandfather; grown tall, smart looking Mr Kurien was very fluent with Sanskrit and Mathematics. Knowing his gifted talents, Pallathu Thampuran (ruler for the area) recommended to Pandalam Palace as Karyakkaran. Later he sold his ancestors property from Niranam and bought his own land; one at Pallom, which exists even now near Pallom Palace and known as Vazhayil. Since he resided there at Pallom he was known as Vazhayil Karyakkaran. Mr Kurien married from "Vengayil" family at Thiruvalla - Ms Eliyamma. Besides inherited, with his hard work he amassed many other land and paddy fields as his properties - 1200 para (acre) paddy field from the reclaimed Vembanad Kayal is one among them. He too was famous for his generosity gave 16 Acres of land in which now Buccanan Girls High School at Pallom situates.
Whilst living at Vazhayil, as per the instructions of Highness Ramavarma of Pallom Palace, he made a new house and shifted as his home is now called as Parappuram.
Although converted from Brahmins and followed Christianity, they all lived with the traditional Brahmin styled appearance including Kudummi and in some daily routines. For the purpose of morning bath, a small pond was made with stone landings laid is still existing at Parappuram.
There were no churches in those days at Pallom. They used Kurichy Valiya Palli for a while - then Mr Kurien made a church for the family at Pallom in his own property in the model of Syrian Christian Churches. A black stone was laid with the inscription of "ParappurathuVaha" in Malayalam at the door on the westward side of the church. Later this church was seized by the British resident - Col Mundro to please his well-wishers and followers , now is known as St. John the Baptist Church of the Protestant - CSI church exists at Karimpumkala Kadavu. The stone now either covered by cement or removed by the Mundro followers to erase ownership. Probably this is the only one CSI church with the Syrian Christian church architecture in Kerala - with a "Thronos" in the Madbuha. With the strained relationship of the resident, Kurien made another church/chapel at Pallikunnu, in his own place where now KSEB - Pampa Augmentation Division now exists - and performed routine prayers for about three years. After that, it was rebuilt in 1866 AD (kollavarsham 1033) and now known as St. Pauls Orthodox Church Pallom. Pallikkunnel Church/Chapel was under the custody of Ulahannan Kurien and his son till 1935.
Second son of Vazhayil Karyakkaran Mr Kurien - known as Parappurathu Kathanar (Parappurathu Geevarughese Achan) - was the priest of St. Pauls Church for many years and died on year 1909 AD (Kollavarsham - 1085). His remains rested now at south side of St. Pauls church Madbaha at Pallom. The church was handed over to the faithful around year 1084AD (Kollavarsham 1070) during Parappurathu Kathanar's tenure. Besides Pallom church, he was also a priest for Puthupally St. George Orthodox church.
Famous Mulanthuruthy Sunnahadose was represented from St. Pauls Church Pallom and signed by Parappurathu Ulahannan Kurien, Parappurathu Kathanar and Edatumpadikkal Itty Kurien. Sunnahadose records evidences are available as reference.
Parappurathu Rev. Geevarughese Kathanar was a Syrian Scholar and speaker. His grace Mar Athanasios Valiya Thirumeni, rest in Aluva Thrikkunnathu Seminary, His grace Baselious Geevarughese II, rest in Devalokam, Kottayam were among students of Parappurathu Kathanar.
Mr Kurien's father Mr Ulahannan Kurien was residing at Pallom from year Kollavarsham 855, however details are not known or available on him and his other siblings. At the same time we have heard of some families in Kottayam and Mavelikkara as Parappuram neither any detail available to link them nor there are any other connections to trace with them.
With that, we believe with the available evidences Parappuram Family history is the history of Ulahannan Kurien and his descendants. From his son Vazhayil Karyakkaran - Parappuram Kurien is given below for our information.